Zobel, Sarah. 2014. Impersonally Interpreted Personal Pronouns. Published online at Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen. (SUB download page)
Peer-reviewed articles and proceedings of peer-reviewed conferences:
- Zobel, Sarah. submitted. Zur Determiniererlosigkeit bei prädikativ verwendeten zählbaren Nomen im Deutschen: Korpusdaten und ihre Konsequenzen. Ms.
- Zobel, Sarah. submitted. A role-based account of the role-specifying use of English predicative as-phrases. Ms.
- Zobel, Sarah. submitted. The landscape of German predicative als-phrases and English predicative as-phrases. Ms.
- Zobel, Sarah. 2019. Accounting for the "causal link" between free adjuncts and their host clauses. In M. Teresa Espinal et al. (eds.), Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 23, vol. 2, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès). 489-506. (PDF)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2018. An analysis of the semantic variability of weak adjuncts and its problems. In: U. Sauerland and S. Solt (eds.), Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 22, vol. 2, ZASPiL 61, pp. 499-516. Berlin: ZAS. (PDF)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2017. The restrictive potential of weak adjuncts: nominal 'as'-phrases and individual quantifiers. In Proceedings of the 21st Amsterdam Colloquium. 521-530. (PDF)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2017. The sensitivity of natural language to the distinction between class nouns and role nouns. In Dan Burgdorf, Jacob Collard, Sireemas Maspong, and Brynhildur Stefansdottir (eds.), Proceedings of SALT 27. 438-458. (SALT proceedings)
- Zobel, Sarah and Eva Csipak. 2017. Conditional antecedents containing the German discourse particle 'denn': a corpus study. Linguistica 56: 345-361. (Linguistica)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2017. On the (in)definiteness of impersonal pronouns. Linguistica 56: 363-374. (Linguistica)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2016. A pragmatic analysis of German impersonally used first person singular ich. In Barbara De Cock & Bettina Kluge (eds.) Pragmatics 26: 379-416. (Pragmatics 26)
- Csipak, Eva and Sarah Zobel. 2016. Discourse Particle denn in the Antecedent of Conditionals. In Christopher Pinon (ed.), Empirical Issues in Syntax and Semantics 11. 31-60. (EISS 11)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2016. Adjectival as-phrases as intensional secondary predicates. In Mary Moroney, Carol-Rose Little, Jacob Collard & Dan Burgdorf (eds.), Proceedings of SALT 26. 284-303. (SALT proceedings)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2015. Voldemort phrases in generic sentences. Grazer Linguistische Studien 83: 107-123. (Pre-final draft)
- Csipak, Eva and Sarah Zobel. 2014. A condition on the distribution of discourse particles across types of questions. In Jyoti Iyer & Leland Kusmer (eds.), NELS 44, Vol. 1. 83--94. GLSA Amherst. (PDF)
- Zobel, Sarah. 2010. Non-Standard Uses of German 1st Person Singular Pronouns. In Kumiyo Nakakoji, Yohei Murakami & E. McCready (eds.), JSAI-isAI, LNAI 6284. 292-311. (Pre-final draft)
Contributions to collective volumes:
- Reed, Natasha, Yvonne Metzger, Michaela Kolbe, Sarah Zobel and Margarete Boos. 2018. Unitizing Verbal Interaction Data for Coding: Rules and Reliability. In: Elisabeth Brauner, Margarete Boos & Michaela Kolbe (eds.) The Cambridge Handbook of Group Interaction Analysis. Cambridge University Press. 208--226.
- Zobel, Sarah. 2017. "'Eh' is eh anders" - 'eh' and 'sowieso' in Federal German and Austrian German. In Clemens Mayr & Edwin Williams (eds.) Themenheft 11-11-17. Festschrift für Martin Prinzhorn. Published as: Wiener Linguistische Gazette 82: 323-330. (WLG 82)
- Patel-Grosz, Pritty, Patrick G. Grosz and Sarah Zobel (eds.). 2018. Pronouns in Embedded Contexts, Studies in Linguistics and Philosophy 99, Springer. (Springer)
- Prinzhorn, Martin, Viola Schmitt and Sarah Zobel (eds.). 2010. Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 14, University of Vienna. (semanticsarchive.net PDF)
Drafts and manuscripts:
- Unstressed überhaupt in wh-questions: Consequences for Rojas-Esponda 2014. Ms. under revision.
- On the impersonal use of German personal pronouns. Ms. from 2011 (Draft)
- Embedding Antecedent-Contained Deletion. Ms. from 2009 based on my MA-thesis. (Draft)
Recent talks (selected)
- Capturing the semantics and pragmatics of impersonal pronominal expressions. To be presented at "Variables and the (Meta)semantics of Context-Sensitivity", September 24, 2019, Vienna, Austria.
- Zu den Lesarten des unpersönlichen Pronomens man. Presented at the Linguistischer Arbeitskreis Köln (LAK), University of Cologne, November 7, 2018, Cologne, Germany. (Slides)
- An a-definite analysis of impersonal pronouns. Presented at the Forum for Theoretical Linguistics, University of Oslo, March 14, 2018, Oslo, Norway.
- On the semantic variability of weak adjunct as-phrases. Presented at LingLunch, MIT, October 5, 2017 Boston, MA, USA.
- Eine Semantik für die Rollenlesart von als-Phrasen. Presented at the Oberseminar Theoretische Philosophie, University of Göttingen, January 16, 2017, Göttingen, Germany.
- On the notion of roles in formal semantics. Presented at the LinG Colloquium, University of Göttingen, November 2, 2016 Göttingen, Germany.
- Towards a semantic analysis for German als-phrases. Presented at the semantics colloquium at University of Frankfurt, December 3, 2015 Frankfurt, Germany.
- On the distribution of German discourse particles across types of questions. Presented at the colloquium of the German Department, University of Vienna, March 17, 2015, Vienna, Austria. (Handout)
- A non-existential analysis for the German impersonal pronoun man in episodic sentences. To be presented at NELS 50 at MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Accounting for the causal link between free adjuncts and their host clauses. Presented at the 23rd Sinn und Bedeutung, September 7, 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
- On the difference between the Federal German and the Austrian German discourse particle eh: An experimental investigation. Presented at Linguistic Evidence 2018, February 17, 2018, Tuebingen, Germany. (Slides)
- The restrictive potential of weak adjuncts: nominal as-phrases and individual quantifiers. Presented at the 21st Amsterdam Colloquium, December 22, 2017, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Capturing the interpretational possibilities of weak free adjuncts. Presented at the 22nd Sinn und Bedeutung, September 7, 2017, Berlin/Potsdam, Germany.
- The notion of roles and the role use of English nominal as-phrases. Poster presented at SALT 27 (University of Maryland), May 13, College Park, ML, USA.
- Talking about yesterday - postnominal temporal adverbs in the German prefield (with Eva Csipak). Presented at Event Semantics 2016 (University of Düsseldorf), November 25-26, 2016, Düsseldorf, Germany. (Slides)
- Adjectival as-phrases as intensional secondary predicates. Poster presented at SALT 26 (University of Texas at Austin), May 13, 2016 Austin, TX, USA.
- On a use of German discourse particle denn in the antecedent of conditionals (joint talk with Eva Csipak). Presented at SinFonIJA VIII (Ljubljana University), September 25, 2015, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- On the discourse properties of dedicated impersonal pronouns in episodic sentences. Poster presented at SinFonIJA VIII (Ljubljana University), September 24, 2015 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Microvariation at the not at-issue level: Federal German vs. Austrian German eh. Presented at Microvariation in Semantics, (SuB satellite event at ZAS Berlin), September 6, 2017 Berlin, Germany.
- Discourse particles and the connection between conditionals and questions (with Eva Csipak). Presented at Conditionals at the crossroads of semantics and pragmatics, University of Konstanz, November 11, 2016 Konstanz, Germany. (Slides)
- Discourse particles and their connection to sentence types, speech acts, and discourse (with Eva Csipak). Presented at Formal Approaches to Particles at the ESSLLI 2016 (University Bozen/Bolzano), August 26, 2016 Bolzano, Italy. (Slides)
Last modified: 2019-09-02 17:00:00+02:00
Accounting for the "causal link" between free adjuncts and their host clauses.
Zobel, Sarah. 2019. M. Teresa Espinal et al. (eds.), Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 23, vol. 2, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès). 489-506.
- @ LAK (Cologne): On the semantic variability of the German impersonal pronoun man
- @ SuB23 (Barcelona): Accounting for the causal link between free adjuncts and their host clauses
- Summer 19: HS/OS Dialektale Variation
- Winter 18: HS/OS Adjektive -- digital analysiert
- Winter 18: HS/OS Objektive & subjektive Bedeutung
- Winter 18: PSI Einführung in die Sprachwissenschaft